Diabetes is considered as ‘Prameha’ in Ayurveda which is a multi-factorial disease. It is characterized by hyperglycaemia (increased blood glucose levels) due to absence or insufficient insulin in the body.
Diabetes Mellitus is of two types:
- Type I– Insulin Depended Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM) or juvenile Diabetes Mellitus which is not curable.
- Type II– Non-insulin Depended Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM) or adult onset Diabetes Mellitus, which is curable.
High calorie diet (over eating & more intake of refined sugars, sweets, junk food, fish, curds, red meat etc), sedentary life style (lack of physical exercise, excessive sleep), stress, tensions, grief, hereditary or genetic factors are attributed to the causation of diabetes. Diabetes is caused due to imbalance of all tridoshas and major bodily tissues are affected. Hence it is a metabolic disorder which has to be treated in time.
Symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus
- Constant feeling of hunger and thirst, Weight loss, tiredness, blurry vision, frequent urination, slow healing wound, recurrent infections, Bad body odour.
- Acute – Hypoglycemia and Diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Long term – Diabetic Retinopathy, Diabetic Neuropathy, Diabetic Foot and Diabetic Nephropathy.
In Ayurveda, treatments for diabetes depend on the constitution & strength of the patient, where
- Obese & strong patients (sthoola pramehi & balavan) treated with detox procedures.
- Emaciated & weak patients (krusha & durbala) treated by are given nourishing therapy (brumhana). – maintaining bala & correction of doshas.
Panchakarma / Shodana therapies (detox / purificatory procedures) are significant in the management of Prameha with Vamana and Virechana and in exceptional cases Basti.
Oral medications which help in balancing the blood sugar levels are advised along with customized diet and lifestyle recommendations. These help in tackling the root cause of the disease, improve the digestion, immunity, strength and overall improve the health.
This article is intended for education and awareness purpose only. Ayurveda medications, advise & treatments are always individualised. We recommend you take advice from an experienced Ayurveda doctor
TO BOOK A CONSULTATION, CALL 080 2218 3456, 8099959595